The Ice Twins

Saturday 9 January 2016

Hello everyone,

Last Friday as I was packing up my belongings to move back to university my Mam came upstairs to help me choose which books to take. I always like to take a few books to read for pleasure and then switch them out when I come home for weekends. She had just finished The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne and thought I should take it with me and give it a try.


I had never heard of this author before, but I’m always keen to try new things, you end up discovering so many wonders that way. The front cover of the book is quite haunting and hinted at a horror story or maybe a crime novel, however, when I read the blurb it leaned more towards a psychological thriller!

*I promise there won’t be any spoilers in this review*

The story follows a young family who have identical twin daughters and a happy dog, the picture of domestic bliss, but right from the beginning there was something strange about the girls. The uncanny thing about the Moorcroft twins is that their level of similarity is absolute, other than personality there is no real way to distinguish between them, not even genetically via DNA. When they are both living this isn’t a problem, but what happens if one of them dies? What happens when the surviving twin proclaims they buried the wrong sister?

As the story unfolds you learn more about Kirstie and Lydia and what really happened on the day of the accident. Throughout this book I wavered between thinking it was a crime novel, a ghost story or simply a tale of mental instability. I had so many questions! Is the girl Kirtsie or Lydia? Is she mad? Is she seeing ghosts? What is really happening on that desolate Hebridean island?

S.K. Tremayne manages that perfect concoction needed to create a truly gripping story and subtly blur the lines between insanity and the paranormal. I would give this book 5 stars and highly recommend it to anybody who loves a good old spooky story! In fact I am already lending The Ice Twins to two people!

Have you guys read it? Do you like spooky stories? Let me know in the comments below :-) 

xoxo


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs