Bedknobs and Broomsticks Review

Saturday 23 December 2017

Hello everyone, 

There is nothing nicer after a long day at work than settling down with a good book. For the last couple of years I have been trying to deepen my knowledge of children's classics. I find them so relaxing and soothing after a stressful day, is that silly? I did read quite a few when I was a child, but there are some I missed and some I want to re-read. One of the ones I missed was Bedknobs and Broomsticks by Mary Norton. 





Bedknobs and Broomsticks is an amalgamation of two shorter stories: The Magic Bedknob and Bonfires and Broomsticks. The stories start with Carey, Charles and Paul going to stay with their aunt in the countryside. Whilst there Paul discovers a witch and starts to watch her flying her broomstick every night through his window. One night she falls off! Paul, worried about her, alerts his older siblings and they set out to help her. This sparks a lovely friendship between the witch, Miss Price, and the children. In return for their silence she gives them a magic bedknob which allows them to travel anywhere in the present and into the past. However, all magic comes with a price and some hilarious and hair-raising adventures follow...

Rating - 5 stars! 

Positives: Charming characters, funny and whimsical plot 

Negatives: I wish there was a never ending supply of these stories to read

For lovers of: Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome, Children of the New Forest by Captain Marryat and The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis

I loved these stories and sped through them in one afternoon. At times they had me on the edge of my seat and I have since found myself wondering how Miss Price is getting on with her new life in the past! Only a truly good book can make you miss the characters after you have finished reading it. The narrative is simple, as it is aimed at younger children around 5-10 years old. However, the plot line is fast paced, with twists and turns only conceivable in children's literature. I think this is a perfect book for adults and children alike, and reading it aloud must be loads of fun :-) 

If you were wondering, this edition is from Orion Books. They have three titles so far in this collection: Ballet shoes, The Borrowers and Bedknobs and Broomsticks. This book is particularly special to me as it was a present from Mr. Gingersnap to match Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild, which was the first book her ever bought me. 

Did you read this book as a child or older? Did you love it and do you have any similar recommendations? Let me know in the comments below :-) 

xoxo

P.S. Follow my Facebook here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs